Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Getting Past the Past

The house is almost unpacked- now it's up to me to get things on the walls, from shelves, to pictures, but most importantly, the paint. It's slowly coming along. Our bedroom is almost complete, the downstairs bathroom is finished, and today I started in the family room. Like I mentioned earlier, the previous home owners had done some sort of do-it-yourself makeover on the largest wall they could find- which consisted of them gluing what looks like ripped up paper bags (we have come to the conclusion it was contractor's paper) onto the wall. So now I have the joy of ripping it off, which has ended up in being a one tool job: my finger. Thankfully just squirting it with water gets the glue loosened up- but there are still parts I have to get manually by picking it off with my finger. Lets just say its not the funnest thing I could be doing with my time.

Here is the before shot:

And here is the progress after an hour of squirting and picking:

Ha ha! Not so much... So this project has been put off as I am continually annoyed that I have to use my fingers because of the texture of the wall. So at this rate, hopefully the wall will be done in the next year...

As for painting, I bought a lighter shade (compared to our room color) for the downstairs. I love the color, but it doesn't go so well with the paper bagged wall.

Before paint:

And after paint:

So all in all, we are finally settling in, but it'll still be a few more weeks before we are completely at home here. We still are in need of a new water heater, which is hopefully going to be fixed soon, but other than that- I think all problems have been solved (at least for now!)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Amy,

    You might look at these two links about removing that contractor's paper. I know my dad's old house, we had to remove wall paper. Some of these tips might help.

    Kris Pancake

    http://www.contractortalk.com/f21/removing-20-year-old-wall-paper-39288/

    http://www.contractortalk.com/f94/easily-removing-wallpaper-yuck-47411/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow....brings back some *fun* memories....my wall looked just like yours.....it took soooo much time and you had so little progress....

    ReplyDelete
  3. amy i died laughing when i saw the before and after pictures.. that stinks!! why do people do that !!! well the house is looking great i must say.. cant wait to see more

    ReplyDelete