Sunday, April 5, 2009

Visiting Old Friends

This past Saturday I decided to make a quick run down to the Phoenix area to go visit some friends I hadn't seen in a while. I was able to spend time with Lindsay, an old friend of mine since, well... I can't even remember! I was so excited to go see Keegan, her oldest son. He is getting so big and I'm not sure who was more excited to see who. For the first ten minutes, maybe longer, Keegan kept telling his mom that "Amy is here?." And yes, he shared his excitement in the form of a question- and it was SO cute!


We then managed to get both kiddos ready and in the car in order to actually get to lunch on time where we met a few other friends. After lunch I joined my friend Ryan for a drive around town- just like the old times. It was really fun to just drive around and goof off, and we even drove by our old neighborhood where we used to live- and of course we HAD to have Journey blaring in the car. After a joyride around town we went to the Gilbert Fire Station to visit another friend, Jason, from our old neighborhood. He is a fireman at that station and we got to go on a tour of the really nice, really new, really fancy and really expensive tax-paid station. Did I mention it was really nice? He showed us the slides and fire pole and I was very tempted to try both, but was also incredibly intimidated by the long drops and super speedy slides.


Ryan & me in front of the fire truck



I got to wear his helmet and even try on a "pack." I'm not exactly sure what all is on this "pack" but I do know it was insanely heavy. I'm glad I don't have to hull one of those around while running through a burning building.


Jason also shared with us in detail all about the trucks, ladders, signs, and calls, but I can't really remember much except hoping that the lights would flash as a call came in and we'd have to see all the firemen run into the truck and go on a call (and he said we'd even go with him!). I pretty much just hoped that would happen the whole time we were there- but it didn't, so I had to be satisfied with just sitting in the seats while the truck was still parked in the garage.



Jason & me in front of the fire truck

As beautiful and neat as Phoenix is, I realized on my way home that Phoenix is not my home anymore. After 21 years of growing up in Phoenix it's hard to say good-bye, but I know it's not where I belong. God has a different plan for me. My home is Tucson, and that is where I belong.

3 comments:

  1. awww we were so happy to see you Amy!!! i love you! :) so next time its my turn to come see you!!! Thanks for not posting that awful picture keegan took LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool...a fire pole and slides...makes me want to build a fort or a tree house

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats cool that you got to go up to phoenix for the day! Its hard accepting that phoenix isn't your home anymore!! I'm still in denial! :)(and praying that one day it will be again someday, lol)

    ReplyDelete